Sunday, April 2, 2017

Soundtrack Leading up to a Fishing Trip


Me, my thoughts are flower strewn
Ocean storm, bayberry moon
I have got to leave to find my way …

I have got to find the river
Bergamot and vetiver
Run through my head and fall away

(From REM's Find the River)

There's a certain perfection in the days leading up to a fishing trip. For the optimist, it's all possibilities. Even poor fishing and unfavorable weather reports can be dismissed or turned into something that – you never know – could help in the end. 

One of my favorite "I'm going fishing" songs isn't about fishing at all. But it is (at least in my reading) about the pull of water and the need to leave in search of something. And if you key in on the word river, which some of us can't help but do, it fits in the way half-understood verse can. It's all about how you look at it.

Today, in addition to taking an optimistic reading of songs, stream reports and weather forecasts, I figured I could use a going-fishing playlist. For me that list requires a good tune, and the mention of the word river or fishing. The songs really aren’t necessarily about fishing. But some would say fishing isn't necessarily about fishing. And yet it is. And they are.

Find the River – REM


River – Leon Bridges



Down by the River – Neil Young


Big River - Johnny Cash


River Boy – Willie Nelson



I know I’m missing many songs. Add to the playlist by posting a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment